Saturday, August 13, 2011

Disability Benefits Back Pay?

My son's original application date for soc. sec. disability was feb. or March 2008, not sure on the date, but around that time. His application was denied & after the 2nd appeal he won. He has an attorney that will get 25% of his back pay. The date he won his appeal was Oct. 2009. He was 17 or just turned 18 at time I applied & now 20. They say he is under "child benefits under the adult earning parents". So he was disabled since 4 yrs. old. We to this date have received no word or penny of his back pay. His original award letter after he won in court was sent out w/the monthly amount he would get & it said they would examine if he got Soc. Sec, dependent care benefits any time during the time after his initial application. I am on disability...he was done receiving dependent care benefits by the time he applied. So I don't understand why they have not discovered that & it has taken almost a year.(maybe he rec'd one mo. of dep. cov., but even so, this is taking too long). His atty. & myself have contacted our local soc. sec. office dozens of times about his back pay. They keep saying "it's in Baltimore's payment processing center", and they or we will let you know. They never say when & this is ridiculous. I asked, should I call Baltimore, they say no. During the 2 year process of appeals for my disabled son & his 1st payment I supported him on credit cards. His deadbeat dad is a criminal so could care less of my sons needs. So I am in about 8K debt & we really need that back pay so I have more money to pay for things instead of credit card bills. I know this is long, but can anyone give me advice. We are just like, oh who cares anymore, screw the back pay, they are never going to send it. They should not get by w/it, but we feel like this is being done intentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment